Pembroke Port is based at the former Royal Naval Dockyard, Pembroke Dock, and offers the facility of a major deepwater, dry cargo dock. At present, the Port of Pembroke handles some general cargo and aggregate, together with certain oilrig supply support vessels. The £38 million purpose-built Ro-Ro Terminalat Pembroke Dock provides comprehensive, modern ferry terminal facilities. It is used twice daily by Irish Sea Ferries for its ferry service between Pembroke and Rosslare, and there are occasional calls by other ships. The Milford Docks Company provides all on-shore services at the Pembroke Ferry Port.
Milford Marina is set in a non-tidal basin on the magnificent Milford Haven Waterway; the 22 miles of sheltered estuary offers all year round sailing. The amenity building provides a comprehensive range of facilities of a very high standard. There are boat repair facilities and storage available within the Docks, secure hard standing areas and an easy access slipway.
Pembroke Attractions. Pembroke attractions are Pembroke Castle (the oldest castle in West Wales, and for more than 300 years the seat of the earls of Pembroke), Museum of the Home, Pembroke Town Hall Gallery, Golden Plover Studio Art Gallery, Carew Castle & Tidal Mill. Pembroke offers a great range of sport activities; there is a local swimming pool at Golden Hill, Milford Haven Golf Club at Pembroke Dock and South Pembrokeshire Golf Club at Pennar. Pembroke Dock Tourist Information Centre is situated at the port for obtaining more details about the port and the area. There are several beaches worth visiting, including Barafundle Bay, Broadhave South at Bosherston and Manorbier Bay beach.
Pembroke History. In the middle ages, Pembroke was strategically important. It was one of the main ports for travelling to Ireland and a castle that was one of the strongest fortresses in the kingdom. Both the town and the castle developed and were fortified together.
The first Norman settlement was established in 1093, when Roger de Montgomery ordered the construction of a wooden fortress on the rocky peninsula where the stone castle now stands.
Pembroke Dock's restored nineteenth century buildings are striking evidence of the town's rich history. Irish ferry passengers pass, for example, the Royal Dockyard's elegant Georgian architecture, then the Dockyard Chapel (1831) and newly restored market (1826). The refurbished Gun Tower (1851) now houses the town's museum. The developing 19th century town of Pembroke Dock attracted settlers from other parts of Pembrokeshire and further afield. Skilled dockyard workers came from Portsmouth, Devon, Deptford and Chatham. In the twentieth century, many settled in the town after coming to Pembroke Dock with the Army, the Royal Air Force or the oil refinery construction boom.
Pembroke Castle is one of the greatest pre-Edwardian castles in Britain and, although damaged, the Keep is one of the finest examples of its kind in the country. Other fine components of the castle are The Great Gatehouse, the domestic and public Buildings as the Country Court, the Norman Hall and The Wogan. The Wogan, a natural cave over which the castle is built, overlooks the river and there is a spiral staircase that goes up into the castle, made for easy access to the river and the sea. All are evocative reminders of Pembroke's historic pedigree.
Pembroke Access. From the east, follow the M4 past Swansea which turns into the A48 and then the A40. Pass St Clears and turn left onto the A477, which leads directly to Pembroke and Pembroke Dock. From the west, take the A4076 from Haverford West and then the A477 to Neyland. Pembroke Dock is across the Toll Bridge. Follow the signs to the Ferry Port.